Below are a sample of model transgender school policies designed for schools across the country, for all grade levels.
These policies have been developed in close coordination with educators, mental health professionals, and civil rights advocates.
These policies are built upon the latest in medical and mental health guidance. They protect the rights and dignity of transgender students while protecting the privacy of every student attending school.
Any of these policies can be used as a framework from which to build a sensible and compassionate transgender policy for Great Hearts Academies and can replace the current policy passed by the Board of Directors in June 2016:
- United States Department of Education – Examples of Policies and Emerging Practices for Supporting Transgender Students
- GLSEN – Model District Policy on Transgender and Gender Nonconforming Students
- Children’s Hospital of Chicago, Gender and Sex Development Program – Model Policy for Student Gender Support
- California Safe Schools Coalition – Model School District Policy Regarding Transgender and Gender Nonconforming Students
- Seattle Public Schools, Superintendent Procedure 3210SP.C – Nondiscrimination and Affirmative Action: Transgender and Gender Nonconforming Students
- Illinois High School Association – Policy and School Recommendations for Transgender Participation
- Cherry Hill, New Jersey – FAQ: Cherry Hill Schools Transgender Students Policy
- Fort Worth, Texas – Fort Worth Independent School District Transgender Student Guidelines
- Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education – Guidance for Massachusetts Public Schools, Creating a Safe and Supportive School Environment, Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Gender Identity
- State of Michigan Department of Education – Memorandum: State Board of Education Statement and Guidance on Safe and Supportive Learning Environments for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Questioning (LGBTQ) Students
- Oregon Department of Education – Guidance to School Districts: Creating a Safe and Supportive School Environment for Transgender Students
And many, many more will be made available here as time allows for posting and publication.